Thursday, July 17, 2008

Sevilla, Sevilla













Sevilla reminded me of a miniature Miami in some ways. Gigantic palm trees lined the streets next to the famous Guadalquivir River. Restaurants and bars, or “terrazas,” spilled out onto the sidewalks to take advantage of the beautiful weather. Aside from the scorching temperatures and humidity, it was a nice change of pace having the sun shining down because it reminded me of the Miami sun. On Friday, Allison and I took a walk to the other side of the river and browsed some shops. We met up with Ryan and Andrew to climb to the top of the Tore de Oro. The view of the city was magnificent and it was nice to learn about the history on the way up the 99 stairs. I love exploring the cities we travel to and finding unique stores, restaurants and other sights. It’s also interesting to see the comparisons between Madrid and Sevilla. We got to see the outside of the Plaza de Toros, but didn’t have a chance to take the tour.



I especially enjoyed visiting the Cathedral because my mom mentioned to me that she watched a special on the Travel Channel about it being the largest Catholic cathedral in the world. Well, she was happy to know she was right! It was really interesting to see the Guinness Book of World Records sign posted on inside. This made me stop for a moment and take advantage of our tour. I also loved our tour guide and thought he had a lot of interesting stories about the Cathedral and the rest of Sevilla, as well. It’s funny to see other people crowd around our tour guides, especially Carmen, while they teach us about the history, art and architecture. My favorite memory of Sevilla was climbing to the top of the Cathedral to see the exquisite view. It’s amazing how well preserved it has been over all these years and with all these visitors. Although each city has a unique flavor, I think Sevilla has been my favorite so far because it reminded me of home a little.

No comments: